help-shishi

Re: The nonce

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: The nonce
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:47:46 +0200

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 16:19 +0200, Alberto Fondi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     my problem is the next one:
>
> when i use shishi username
> i get the following message for exemple
>
> request nonce (len=4) 0590673c
> reply nonce (len=3) 90673c
> AS exchange failed: Replay protection value (nonce) differ between
> request and reply.
>
> but there is another strange thing: there are times when i type the same
> command and i get the ticket?
>
> How could you explain this behaviour of shishi?

Hi!  Interesting error, it seems that for some reason the server
responds with a short 3 octet nonce:s.  This might indicate a protocol
error in Shishi or in the KDC.  Which KDC is this?

Can you find a pattern in the nonces that fail?  I.e., do they all start
with '0'?

To find out what nonce was used for commands that succeed, you can use
'shishi -d' and then 'shishi -v -v|grep nonce'.

/Simon