help-shishi

Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:47:01 +0100

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ok.  The savannah admins doesn't want me to put *.tar.gz files into CVS,
>> so I presume they would have similar feelings about putting *.tar.gz
>> files into Git, though.  So using the upstream source repository for the
>> debian package files probably won't work out.
>
> That's the beauty of pristine-tar.  You don't actually commit the full
> .tar.gz file to Git.  You only commit just enough metadata to recreate it
> from the tagged upstream tree.  It's only a checksum and an xdelta file
> that's usually about 4-16KB.

Sounds almost to good to be true. ;)

What about all the generated files like PDF manuals?  I guess they go
into the xdelta file?  The (uncompressed) difference between the version
controlled Shishi source code and the content of a *.tar.gz archive
seems to be about 5MB vs 20MB.  The savannah admins' concern was the
size -- I removed around a GB when I removed the old releases of my
projects that were checked into CVS on savannah.  So unless I've
misunderstood how pristine-tar works I still think it won't scale.

However, I'll make some tests with pristine-tar on a local git tree to
see how large the xdelta's would actually be.

Git is more problematic than CVS here because it will be painful to
remove the xdelta files in the future if we commit them to the upstream
git tree.

>> However, I can use my git.josefsson.org for this.  Or does allioth
>> support git hosting?  I'm not sure if I can use it as a DM though.
>
> Alioth does support Git hosting.  I don't recall if guest accounts can
> request new projects, but I could certainly request a project, either one
> for both GSS and Shishi or one for each.  Once the project is created,
> guest accounts have no problem doing everything else with it.

Ok, let me do some testing of pristine-tar first.

/Simon