[Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:26:49 +0100 (CET)

I looked at your first stab at implementing GTK bindings.  I strongly
suggest that instead of creating your own classes you follow the way I
outlined in my previous message (automatic generation of Smalltalk code
from C headers).

As soon as it is out, you should upgrade to 1.95.2 because it now uses
libtool and automake and it will be *much* less of a headache for you to
roll tarballs or for me to merge your changes.  In addition (I had forgot
to mention it) CStructs have been a little revamped and now support
inheritance; building this into the wrapper generator should be very easy
given the rational structure of the GDK/GTK headers.

Now here is what you should *not* do: build a parallel GUI library.
Client code *must* use Blox seeing as few differences as possible with
respect to the Tcl/Tk implementation.  I won't merge in GNU Smalltalk your
GTK bindings if they force everybody to rewrite their GUIs from scratch.
Sorry if I seem hard, but it was not hard for me to build the Blox/Tk
system out of the Blox/Xt system in 1.1.5 (the bulk of it was done in a
fortnight), so it *is* feasible.

I'm not a big expert of GDK/GTK, but I will help you in understanding the
implementation of Blox/Tk and of CObjects.

Good luck!

Paolo

ps: where are you from? you're name looks like somewhere in former
Yugoslavia... not so far from me in that case.