Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam

From: kraehe
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:03:06 +0200

Moin LD,

> >>I get quite a bit of spam from this list.

  ,me to ;(

> >There may be a few places where a GST user is told to just post to the
> >list address if they have a question or problem; requiring them to
> >subscribe might drive them away.

> Most lists I know of require subscription for this very purpose.

  we can get both. I'm running an old home grown mailserver, keeping
  two lists of users called readers and maintainers for each list.

  Postings from readers or maintainers are processed to the complete
  list, while postings from non subscribed people are only processed
  for maintainers, and spooled for one week, to be approved. The server
  keeps track of replys. A reply to an unapproved posting with both
  the list eMail and the unknown eMail in To: will approve the unknown
  postings, to let readers of the list, know why the maintainer replyed.
  I wont suggest running my script somewhere else, I never published
  those 400 lines of awk for good reason. I might port this to gst,
  but I dont thing we need an other mailing list server.

  I'm also maintaining some majordomo lists. So I think that any other
  modern mailserver has some feature like the majordomo restrict_post
  and taboo_headers to force approval of unsubscribed and mime postings.

  The maintainers have to sort the spam anyway, if they want to reply
  to open postings, so I advise to spool the unknown postings into
  CLAMV or some other virus and spam filter before reading them, to
  include a full quote of the posting and to set a
  header, so people who reply on the reply, also reply to the original
  poster, and not only to the list.

  Banning IP addresses afterwards, is no solution, imho, as most spam come
  from dial up users, who will pollute a lot of IP address, without reusing
  them again.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.6.12'UNZ+1'