Re: [Help-smalltalk] Subroutines

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Subroutines
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:27:14 +0100

Kenny Holtz (31.10. 21:15):

> I am doing a project on smalltalk and cant find any info on this.

You can, if you look at some of the excellent books at

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

Short answers:

> 1.  Does smalltalk support some type of routines?

yes: methods

> 2.  Can subroutines have local variables?

yes

> 3.  Can subroutines have parameters? If so, how are parameters passed?
> (Pass by value? Pass by reference? Pass by value-result? etc.) Is there
> some symbol or keyword in the program that specifies how a particular
> parameter will be passed?

yes: objects are passed around all the time, there is nothing else in
Smalltalk.

> 4.  Can a subroutine return a value? Must a subroutine always return a
> value?

yes. If *you* don't return a value, the receiving object of the message
is returned as result.

> Any help would be great

Don't be content with the one-liners above. Dig into the books and
help yourself. You'll enjoy it.

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl
|Approximity GmbH               | EDV-Beratung Schmiedl                  |