[Help-smalltalk] ZLib Z_SYNC_FLUSH/Z_FULL_FLUSH

From: Robin Redeker
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] ZLib Z_SYNC_FLUSH/Z_FULL_FLUSH
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:19:35 +0200

Hi!

I've seen that there is a ZLib implementation, but it doesn't seem to
support giving deflate() Z_FULL_FLUSH or Z_SYNC_FLUSH which seems to be
neccessary in most 'interactive' network applications.

I don't know how that would be best implemented as I'm not familiar
enough with streams yet. But the use case would be: write some data to
the deflate stream and then flush.
And some other process would wait for the nextHunk and would write that
out to eg. the network.

Something like this:

   defl := DeflateStreama compressingTo: socket.
   defl nextPutAll: '[message]'.
   defl flush.

For flush parameters something like that would be nice:

   defl flush: Z_FULL_FLUSH.

(don't know how suchs constants would be handled in smalltalk :)

I hope the flush would also cause a flush on the socket stream, or
at least the the compressed data until the flush would be transmitted
to the socket. So that I can do "socket flush." after "defl flush" (I
don't really know here how flushing is being done in smalltalk :)

Robin