Re: [Help-smalltalk] Future Plans of GNU Smalltalk

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Future Plans of GNU Smalltalk
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:04:37 +0200

- The use of Native Widgets.
- MultiThreading.
- Generate exe files.
- and so on..

I would like to hear, the roadmap in near time (corto plazo en espaƱol), finishing this year, and next year.

Neither of these :-)

Because I know only the short term of my personal life, I aim to get out in 2008 (possibly September) the 3.1 version with more Seaside (e.g. Scriptaculous and Magritte) and with finished Cairo/LibSDL/OpenGL bindings.

For 3.2 it's probably time to work on the browser, possibly using OmniBrowser. But I don't know yet what to do for that, nor do I know the timeframe. I don't work fulltime on GNU Smalltalk, though the overall time I use in a week is probably around 12 hours (10 commutes plus something here and there).

Native widgets require extensive testing which I cannot afford. Multithreading is important but is very complex. Generating executable files could be done relatively easily by embedding the image in a GNU Smalltalk executable and relinking; it would definitely be portable to Linux and MacOS (using "ld -r"), I guess the same would work with MSys.