Re: [Help-smalltalk] bug report?

From: nico
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] bug report?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:08:36 +0100

Le vendredi 21 novembre 2008 à 17:36 +0100, Paolo Bonzini a écrit :
> > It looks like the printNl made it crash, which may be normal, I
don't
> > know, that's why I'm asking.
>
> Yes, the example is biased because printing 10000 factorial is much
> heavier than computing it.  You should compare "10000 factorial" with
> print-it on Squeak.  To compare with doits, use something like "10000
> factorial; yourself" or "10000 factorial size".

I did it, and results are not really better: it still takes 6 seconds to
compute 5000 factorial and 21 seconds to compute 10000 factorial, while
with Squeak it only takes 100 milliseconds and 420 milliseconds, and I
got similar results with VisualWorks.

> > BTW, in Squeak it takes 397 ms on my computer to run 10000 factorial
> > while it takes more than 26 seconds with gst.
>
> Hum, it crashes almost instantly here, even with #millisecondsToRun:.

Yes, it does sometimes here too, but not always...

Nico