Re: [Help-smalltalk] primitives

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] primitives
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:16:01 +0100

Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 16:02:57 you wrote:
>> Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
>>> Hi Paolo,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to call a primitive like this :
>>>
>>>     self callThisPrimitive: 'nameOfThePrimitive' withArgs: args.
>> No, why do you need that?
>>
>> Paolo
>
> I'm working on a simulator (which can be used for the debugging tracing,
> profiling, and for running old-squeak image, ...)

Ah, I see.  No, there is nothing like that but it should not be hard to
do it (mostly by copying the code of the #perform:withArguments:
primitive).  One question is, what to do if the primitive fails?  You
need a block for that, right?

Still, I think that the single step mode already in the VM is going to
be always faster than a simulator (and it would be usable for tracing
and profiling).  Have you looked at DebugTools?