Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk

From: Göran Krampe
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:18:19 +0200

Hi!

Just wanted to mention SimpleLog on SqueakMap, I modelled it after syslog (levels etc) and it has an UDP syslog backend (very little code).

I use the approach of a Singleton instance (or you can go to an instance of SLLog directly if you like) and then the class (SLLog) has mirrored the protocol on the class side so that you can type:

        SLLog error: 'blabla'

(or warn:, notice: etc)

Then the SLLog instance has an OrderedCollection of "emitters" that it uses to actually do some output, thus you can easily log onto a file, Transcript and onto syslog at the same time if you like. It even has file rotation :)

Feel free to port it if you want, it should be small and straight forward, it is here (under new BSD):

        http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/SimpleLog

regards, Göran