Re: [Help-smalltalk] Editors for GST

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Editors for GST
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:40:44 +0200

> I know an emacs mode exists, but, where the hell are the .emacs file?

They are .el files and they are compiled to .elc and installed.  You
can use M-x smalltalk-mode or add this to .emacs:

     (setq auto-mode-alist
           (append  '(("\\.st\\'" . smalltalk-mode))
                    auto-mode-alist))

     (autoload 'smalltalk-mode
"....../share/emacs/site-lisp/smalltalk-mode.elc" "" t)

as mentioned in the manual.

> I saw Smalltalk over Eclipse, a work by IBM.
> http://weeklysqueak.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/classesperspective.jpg
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/stdt
>
> Someone has tried some of this two options to work with GST?

They could be a good idea, but time is finite.  Next year you could
propose an Eclipse Google Summer of Code project and do it.  Or just
do it now, after all it's free software...