Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: a stupid question about "stateful"

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: a stupid question about "stateful"
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:19:13 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:34:39 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Stateful means (among other things) that each Iliad.Widget has an
> instance per session, right?

I'm working from the premise that every session instance holds on to
it's own application instance, which in turn can reference as many
Widget instances, each with individual state, as necessary. For example,
in my OnlineTester app, a single test widget holds several exercise widgets,
each of which has several answer widget.

> So if my localization stays in an
> instance variable I'm safe to think that it will reach one and only
> one remote user.

yes. If you're keeping localization per widget, you can show LTR, RTL,
top-down and round-the-circle in one view belonging to one application
running in the one session associated with the one and only remote user
you'll have.... wait, that didn't come out right :-)

> It kinda looks self-evident, but I thought I'd better double-check.

write a test for it. It's good practice.

s.