[Help-smalltalk] Iliad questions and comments

From: Eli Green
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad questions and comments
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:47:35 +0200

Hi,

I have some thoughts after a few days of playing with Iliad:

1. I was thinking of making a GNU Star package loader for Squeak with the option of transforming classes based on their namespace. Wouldn't this make importing new versions of Iliad simpler? Or are there more complicated compatibility issues than simply namespaces?

2. I have found that under Squeak / Pharo, error conditions were never returning anything to the browser, nor were they alerting me inside the Squeak environment. This turned out to be a much more useful version of ILErrorHandler>>produceDebugResponse:

produceDebugResponse
        self halt
        ^self produceVerboseResponse

It is still slightly annoying that the debug window that pops up has a dozen items before the real source of the error. I'm sure there's some way to fix this but I am a complete smalltalk newbie.

3. It's great.

Eli