Re: [Help-smalltalk] Using Smalltalk as a scripting language

From: Roland Plüss
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Using Smalltalk as a scripting language
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:13:00 +0100

>> Is there a way to prevent this function call from ever
>> blocking?
>
> No, that's not possible.  You could run _gst_process_file in a
> separate thread though.  When _gst_process_file finishes, the thread
> would tell the main thread that it can execute Smalltalk code.  Until
> _gst_process_file finishes, the main thread could keep executing, but
> would not be able to execute Smalltalk code.
I tried using that function but even for an empty file it returns a
failure code according to the example. I'm a bit stumped on that one
without any informations on why the call fails.
>> I guess I posed the wrong question. I talk about the c functions in the
>> gstpub.h file like for example _gst_process_file and company. I didn't
>> find a man page or anything in the docs which outlines how to use these
>> c functions or which kind of parameter values they know/accept.
>
> The functions beginning with _gst_ are not public, only those
> beginning with gst_ are (each gst_ function has a private counterpart;
> they're exactly the same and are separated just for optimization
> purposes).
>
> Most of these are documented in the info manual.  gst_process_file is
> an exception (it is documented by an example, but not in the function
> reference).
I see. I'll have a look at the info files. One thing though. I noticed
that the gst_process_file call takes a filename as parameter. This is
not really usable for me since in my engine files can be anything from
disk files to memory files or even URL files. Hence I've got a file
reader class which feeds the data to the scripts. Is there a way to feed
script data to smalltalk using a memory pointer instead of a file? Or do
I have to hack this together myself?

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland