Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote packages
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:32:13 +0100

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 10:24 +0100, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Now that there are some gst projects around (you can check on github),
> it may be time to reconsider the monolithic tarball approach.
>
> Paolo wanted to start brainstorming about the idea of fetching remote
> packages, so here I go :)

As I've said to you we need a gst-get tools :

- first we need an easy way to get repositories (i.e. the list of
packages)
- for each repositories do we support multiple protocols : ssh, git,
svn, http(s), ftp, ...

We can begin with a simple tool with a list of git repositories. As
there is the gitorious project we can reuse it.

After it should be pretty easy to extend it with other protocols and
better tools ...

> One possibility would be to have a remote repository, and a
> gst-something command line tool to fetch and install packages from this
> repository.
>
> Maybe a rubygem like tool (simplified?).
>
> Another idea would be to add git/svn capabilities to gst-package.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers!

Cheers,
Gwenael