Re: Understanding how projects work (was Re: [Help-smalltalk] Windows bu

From: Tim Menzies
Subject: Re: Understanding how projects work (was Re: [Help-smalltalk] Windows build)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:55:28 -0500

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 02:35 PM, Tim Menzies wrote:
>> see, the other options is that someone offers their pre-compiled
>> binaries for windows on some public site
>
> See, I've been planning to do this for a while and hope to get to it during
> the holidays finally.  But Ang needs to develop, so she cannot rely on
> binaries.
>
> If something has been mentioned 200 times, the only reason why it's
> worthwhile to say it the 201st, is if you decide to be the "someone".
> If you think I suck as a maintainer because I don't provide Windows
> binaries, fine with me, but then call things with their name please.

dear paolo,

please allow me to publicly  express my enthusiasm for the gnu
smalltalk project and your tremendous work on that project.

i love scripting and text-based gnu smalltalk is right now my tool of
choice.  gnu smalltalk has brought me back to this wonderful language
after years of trying other things. i used to make $$$$ in the early
1990s selling smalltalk programming and mentor facilities but i was
always sad about the needless elaboration of a simple idea (smalltalk)
into overly-complex environments (visualworks, squeak, etc etc).

FYI: i ran two university subjects this year using gnu smalltalk and
what  was amazing is how LITTLE tutorial help i had to give students.
after 1-2 weeks mentoring, people stopped asking me about ST and
instead were asking me about the data used in the assignments. ST is a
perfect teaching tool: uniform, simple to learn.

you have enabled all the above. thank you.

p.s. regarding my suggestion to release pre-compiled windows binaries.
i did not know it was an FAQ and if i did i would not have suggested
it.

--
there are those who call me... (dr) timm (menzies)?
morgantown (39.6n, -79w), usa

PROBLEM: Handling e-mail is very very very slow, resulting in inbox overflow.
SOLUTION: Adopt the  "http://five.sentenc.es"; policy: no responses
longer than 5 sentences. It’s that simple. Care to try it?