Re: [Help-smalltalk] What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

From: dukester
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 12:36:24 -0800 (PST)

ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
> Hello,
> One of the readers of my book told that there is a problem with the
> example program below:
> ""
> "A program to demonstrate how to get input from user."
> | userName |
> Transcript show: 'What is your name? '.
> userName := stdin nextLine.
> Transcript show: ('Hello ', userName, '!'); cr.
> It is working fine on my system but he is getting an output of something
> like this:
> address@hidden ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
> 01:57 pm >> gst
> What is your name? No runnable processAbort trap
> What might be the problem?

Here's some more information. I input the commands from the gst CLI like so:

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
11:57 am >> gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> | userName |
st> 'What is your name?'.
'What is your name?'
st> userName := stdin nextline.
Object: FileStream new "<0x1306b08>" error: did not understand #nextline
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (
FileStream(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #nextline (
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)

Does this help someone to diagnose the problem? BTW, I'm running gst on an
Intel OS X Leopard 10.8.5 box. TIA...
Sent from the Gnu - Smalltalk mailing list archive at