Re: [Help-smalltalk] Building GST under Windows

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Building GST under Windows
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:18:24 +0200

I'm sorry if my answer came out a bit ugly.

The point is, the right thing to do is to provide binary builds, and possibly do that in an automated way. And in order to do it in an automated way, the easiest thing to do is to cross-compile (also because the images can be treated as mostly architecture independent). It's in theory possible to cross-compile for Mac as well.

Also, compiling everything is cumbersome as you experienced yourself. This can be made easier by relying on prepackaging done by someone else. This doesn't necessarily point to cross-compiling, but again cross-compilation does take care of that.