Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint

From: Dmitry Matveev
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk Sprint
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:47:37 +0000

Hello,

Thank you Gwen for the reminder, I have already wanted to ask in the
list about the upcoming event.

Mostly I am interested in making VisualGST able to work with a remote image.

To save more time for implementation, I have prepared a short proposal
"how it could be done" today:
1. To add an abstraction layer to VisualGST, through which it will
receive the list of namespaces/classes/methods/sources.
   I think that Strategy pattern is the most appropriate here and
VisualGST will have two strategies:
   - reflection for thr current image;
   - network protocol for a remote image.

2. To design an network protocol. I think that for a first time we
could leave concurency and to use a syncronious protocol.
   I see entities in the communication: Client (VisualGST) and the
Server (remote image).
   The active member is Client - it will send requests to Server and
Server will respond. Server will not send anything without an
appropriate request (for simplicity).
   I see a set of possible commands:
   - get a list of namespaces;
   - get a list of classes in namespace;
   - get a list of methods in class (instance side or class side);
   - register a new class with the supplied description (comment,
instance/class variable names, ect);
   - remove a class;
   - get a source string of a concrete method in a concrete class;
   - compite a supplied source string for a concrete method in a concrete class.

   I think it would be more than enough for sprint :) Network protocol
could be implemented using XML - I see the following advantages here:
   - easy to serialize;
   - portable, i.e. it would be possible to write a mode for Emacs
that will communicate with image is a SLIME flavour (that's my
dream!).

3. To implement it all :)
   - the client network part that will send requests and receive
   - the remote image will have a lightweight smalltalk server running
in a separate Smalltalk process on the selected port. Server will
receive requests and reply with responses.

Looks clear... At least for me. I will start working on the basic
parts (strategies) tonight and _may be_ will publish the first patches
tomorrow.

Any comments ans feedback are welcomed!

Dmitry