[Help-smalltalk] Bug: Emacs mode indentation bug

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Bug: Emacs mode indentation bug
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 03:40:07 +0000 (UTC)

The GNU Smalltalk mode for Emacs doesn't seem to like matching
brackets (and possibly parentheses) to be in different columns.

Example:

Object subclass: Foo [

                aMethod [
                                ^self
                ]

anotherMethod
             ^Try to type colon (':') here, and it prints the
             following error message and refuses to insert a colon.
forward-sexp: Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses", 49, 41

49 and 41 seem to refer to the brackets around the body of #aMethod.

If I reformat the file like this...

Object subclass: Foo [

                aMethod
                                [
                                                ^self
                                ]

anotherMethod:

...it stops complaining and lets me type a colon.

I know the first way I had it formatted is valid, because I've seen
GNU Smalltalk packages formatted with the brackets in different
columns.

The thing I don't get is how this behaviour even exists, since,
presumably, some of the GST developers use Emacs, so how can I, a
total noob, have encountered this almost right away without any of the
developers noticing it?  I see either two possibilities: 1) My Emacs
installation or configuration is causing the bug to show up, or 2)
smalltalk-mode was not written for the devs, but for users.

Either way, can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Aidan