help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] problem when redirecting tar output.

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] problem when redirecting tar output.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:20:44 +0200

shreyas waghmare <address@hidden> ha escrit:

>    If my information and understanding above is right, then why am i
>    getting these different time when i perform tar on same hierarchy?

GNU tar explicitly checks if the archive is beign written to /dev/null,
and if so, it does not do any real archiving. That is, it does not
actually open and read any files. This behavior is documented in

 http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/file.html#SEC99

>    I want to measure performance in terms of time required to perform tar
>    on a given hiearchy. so I am not sure which command is correct.

In that case, create a real archive on the file system and delete it
after measuring is done.

Regards,
Sergey