Re: Colons in indices

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Colons in indices
Date: 11 Apr 2001 21:32:53 +0200

> >The @ character is what comes to mind whenever you need anything
> >escaped in Texinfo,

Ok, that's probably better.

> What do you do with a node whose name is foo@:bar?  Produce foo@@:bar?

Maybe.  Anyway, having colons in names would be a big win.

> One problem with these quotations is that you can no longer find these
> cross references and menu items by searching for the literal node
> name.

Yes, that's not good.  You probably definately want to be able to
search for Foo::get_* and get something useful.  Why *do* you need to
escape the colon, what happens if you'd skip it as long as it's
embedded between non-space, ie:

   Foo::bar: x
      ^^    ^
     skip   end

maybe you need more difficult regexp, but we can try to work on that?