Re: How do permanently add another search path to info?

From: karl
Subject: Re: How do permanently add another search path to info?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:26:52 -0400

        All I want to do is add /usr/local/TeX/info to this search path for
        everyone at once.

You can either set the INFOPATH environment variable, if you have a way
to do that so that all users will see it.  Or you can redefine
DEFAULT_INFOPATH when you compile, either by editing ./info/filesys.h or
defining it on the command line.

I suppose I should add a configure option for prepending to the path,
for convenience.

    Not true: at least as far as GNU installation standards go, there are a
    single Info directory, usually /usr/local/info, where all the Info files
    are installed when you say "make install".

Eli, I'm afraid this is one case where GNU standards simply aren't
practical for everything outside of GNU.  TeX is a large installation,
and it's generally desirable for it to have its own tree, including the
info files.  Although the default installation of core web2c matches
GNU, at least it did when I maintained it -- but the larger
distributions, like tex live, don't make sense to install into
subdirectories of /usr/local.  Anyway, there's nothing to be done about
this, it's just a fact of life.

Hope this helps,
karl