Re: Latest texi/info to www

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Latest texi/info to www
Date: 27 Jul 2001 11:32:06 +0200

Harry Putnam <address@hidden> writes:

> Lacking index search is a major drawback of html documentation.  A
> regexp search also sorely lacking.  Makes me wonder why some people
> prefer html style to info.  I think its usually just lack of
> familiarity with navigation commands, and ignorance of the powerfull
> on board search techniques.

Yes, mostly.  Up till Emacs 20 only monospace fonts were possible for
good results; Emacs 21 will allow proportional fonts.  Advantage: The
same Emacs buffer can hold more text (if re-wrapping of lines will be
allowed).

> The `answer book' style is a great step up from just having `Find in
> page' but really weak compared to info.

In the future the GNOME helpsystem is considered to provide similar
features for > different input formats (DocBook, Info, manpages).

--
Linux frechet 2.4.7-4GB #1 Tue Jul 24 15:07:28 GMT 2001 i686 unknown
 11:26am  up 1 day, 17:20,  6 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.28