Re: translations of GNU manuals

From: Andrew Clausen
Subject: Re: translations of GNU manuals
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:43:12 +1100

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:48:21AM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>     How should I organize /doc in the parted distributation for translations
>     of parted.texi?
>
> /doc?  Do you mean /info?  Or are does make install also install the
> Texinfo source (generally this is not done)?

/doc is the location in the tarball.

> As you say, I don't think there are any standards about this.  It would
> seem reasonable to have language-specific subdirectories, as in
> $(infodir)/fr, $(infodir)/de, etc.  Or maybe fr_FR, de_DE, etc., I don't
> know enough say.

Sounds sane.

> The only Texinfo manual translation I'm aware of was simply called
> info-fr.texi, which is not an especially good model to follow.

Indeed.

> What do you do for the plaintext versions now?

USER, USER.jp weren't installed.  Distro's put them in
/usr/share/doc/parted-VERSION

Another issue is: should distributions include HTML as well?  The HTML
that makeinfo seem more comfortable than using info/pinfo.  You get nicer
fonts, familiar UI, etc.

If so, how/where?

> I will ask around about this.
>
>     Are there any other issues with i18n and texi?  We were using plaintext,
>     and are currentyl switching to texinfo.
>
> Well, you'll find Texinfo's support for languages other than English is
> painfully lacking, in general :(.  But it is possible ...

Apparantly, some .jp's have hacked up texinfo to work properly with jp_JP...

Andrew