Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 08:21:45 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>    Unfortunately, the GNU Emacs port for Cygwin is still alpha-quality,
>    see this thread:
>
> Hmmm.... the last time I ran a Microsoft operating system was in 1987
> and I ran Emacs -- it worked fine.  Oh well.  On second thoughts,
> perhaps I was running one of the Emacs clones -- those without the
> virtual Lisp machine.

The Emacs port you were running was compiled by the Microsoft C compiler
and used the standard Windows runtime support.  That's the official
Windows port of Emacs that survives to this day.

Building Emacs with Cygwin requires a lot of work, since a large portion
of the Windows-specific code works around incompatibilities between
Windows and Posix systems, something that Cygwin solves in a different
way (with a shared library).