Re: @documentencoding, `makeinfo --enable-encoding' and texi2dvi

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: @documentencoding, `makeinfo --enable-encoding' and texi2dvi
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:46:40 +0200

On Tue, Apr 08 2003, Karl Berry wrote:

>     Does it make sense to include the following immediately before @bye:
[...]
> I don't think it should be done in the Texinfo source file.  For one
> thing, if the Info output is split, it won't end up in every split .info
> file that way.

The file I'm working on isn't so large yet.  But I will keep this in
mind.

> Instead, if this is the right thing to do (I defer to the Emacs i18n
> experts in the crowd ... Eli?), it will be easy to change makeinfo to
> automatically output it at the end of every file, based on the
> @documentencoding value (and if --enable-encoding is specified, I
> guess).

Yes, this would make sense.

>     BTW, --enable-encoding isn't mentioned in the texinfo manual (Edition
>     4.0 of the Texinfo manual, updated 28 September 1999).
>
> It didn't exist in 4.0.  The current version is 4.5, and it's there
> (minimally).

Oops, my INFOPATH wasn't synced with PATH (makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.4
from teTeX 2.0).

> I added the cross-reference, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks.

>     @tex
>     \input latin1.tex
>     @end tex
>
> You'd also need \globaldefs=1 in there.  @tex material is read
> inside a group.

Not with this version of `latin1.tex', because it already uses \global
(CMIIW):

\global\catcode`\^^a0=\active \global\let^^a0=~

>     @c With latin1.tex e.g. from
>     @c http://openbsd.secsup.org/src/kerberosV/src/doc/latin1.tex
>
> Very interesting.  That actually looks like it would be fairly easy to
> integrate into texinfo.tex, to be used if the document has
> @documentencoding ISO-8859-1
> I will work on that.

That would be great, thanks.

Bye, Reiner.