[help-texinfo] Problems with undefined crossreferences.

From: Steve Juranich
Subject: [help-texinfo] Problems with undefined crossreferences.
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:53:00 -0700 (MST)

I'm having some real trouble getting my cross references to work right.
My .info files seem to be working okay, but pinfo always complains that
they don't look like info files when I hit the 'back' button.

The big problem is when I run a 'make dvi'.  I get a bunch of stuff that
looks like this:

54: Undefined cross reference `File Formats-snt'.
54: Undefined cross reference `File Formats-pg'.
63: Undefined cross reference `File Formats-snt'.
63: Undefined cross reference `File Formats-snt'.
63: Undefined cross reference `File Formats-pg'.

So, line 54 of the .texi file looks like this:

(@xref{File Formats}, for more).

and my @node line for that node looks like this:

@node File Formats , Concept Index , Making API Documentation , Top

Now, in my experience with LaTeX (never really used Plain TeX), I never
used whitespace in a \ref command.  I always just figured it would choke.
So I tried renaming my nodes to something more computer friendly (File
Formats became file_formats, etc.), but I still ended up with the errors.

It's also not the regular "you have to run (La)TeX <n> times before the
cross references are resolved" problem either. I've run texi2dvi 15 times
and I still get the problems.

I'm imagining that the two problems (errors from texi2dvi and complaints
from pinfo) are related, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, any suggestions for what I should be looking for would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Stephen W. Juranich