Re: [help-texinfo] changing font size in hardcopy

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] changing font size in hardcopy
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:48:54 -0500

    I'm not familiar with `\globaldefs'.

It makes all following assignments global.  This is necessary because
@tex is executed inside a group.

    Would it work to set `\vsize', `\hsize', `\voffset', and `\hoffset'
    after the call to `\magnification'?

Presumably.  That would have been my plan.

    It may be necessary to use `true' units,

Indeed (which does not seem easy, offhand) ... otherwise they'd be
magnified by the magnification.  Or divide the non-true dimens by the
magnification factor, I suppose; that might be easier to program.

Matthias, I'm not sure why it had such a drastic effect on the layout,
unless it's all related to the different \hsize, which doesn't entirely
make sense to me.  Anyway, it seems the answer is, "no easy way to get
bigger fonts".  Sorry.

karl

P.S. The non-easy way is to change this code in texinfo.tex.  E.g.,
change and 11pt to 12pt (doesn't really matter), and \magstephalf to
\magstep1.  There are better methods, but none I can give a recipe for
off the top of my head.

% Text fonts (11.2pt, magstep1).
\def\textnominalsize{11pt}
\edef\mainmagstep{\magstephalf}
\setfont\textrm\rmshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\texttt\ttshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textbf\bfshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textit\itshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textsl\slshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textsf\sfshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textsc\scshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\setfont\textttsl\ttslshape{10}{\mainmagstep}
\font\texti=cmmi10 scaled \mainmagstep
\font\textsy=cmsy10 scaled \mainmagstep