Re: [help-texinfo] command index and unified index

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] command index and unified index
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 17:30:22 -0500

Hi Graham,

    allows an index to be used twice?  (first time for printing, second
    time for merging into cp)

Sorry to say that Texinfo doesn't support this.  It's never come up
before, the theory being that if you have a separate index for commands
(or whatever), then duplicating them all in the general index is not
desirable.

However, I guess I can understand the idea of wanting readers to be able
to see all commands in an index by themselves, but also find them in the
general index.  Is that the goal?

It shouldn't be terribly hard to modify @syn[code]index's behavior so
that the "moved" (fn) index is still computed and can be printed
separately even when it is @syncode'd, so to speak.  Unfortunately, I
cannot give you even an approximate ETA.  If it's crucial for Lilypond,
maybe you or Jan or one of the other Lilypond hackers could work on it?

Personally, I prefer having just one index => one place to look =>
simplest for readers.

Best,
karl