Re: [help-texinfo] producing index with texi2dvi (fixed)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] producing index with texi2dvi (fixed)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:42:46 -0700

On 23-May-06, at 2:08 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

    (@end occurred inside a group at level 4)

That's related to the @quotations not being closed.  Something is
obviously going wrong in the macro expansion.  With --debug (or
some other option? Can't remember) it should preserve the intermediate
file.

Aha, I finally found it!  texi2dvi -E  got confused by this:

@macro internalsref{NAME}
@vindex \NAME\
@code{\NAME\}
@end macro

@itemize
@b{ @internalsref{Fingering_engraver}}

This was expanded into
@b{ @vindex Fingering_engraver
@inforef{Fingering_engraver,,lilypond-internals} }

and texinfo didn't recognize the final } as belonging to the @b (it complained about an extra } at the end of line). I guess that it didn't recognize the @end itemize at the end of this list, and thus thought that everything else in the manual after that (including @node) was part of the @itemize. No wonder it was unhappy! :)

I haven't touched this construct at all (ie it's at least two years old :) , so it obviously works without -E. I simply removed the @b{}, since it doesn't add much to the example.

Thanks for all the help,
- Graham Percival