[help-texinfo] Texinfo -> Docbook w/makeinfo 4.8 and 4.8.90

From: Nicolas Maufrais
Subject: [help-texinfo] Texinfo -> Docbook w/makeinfo 4.8 and 4.8.90
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:48:24 +0100

Hello,

Some days ago on this mailing-list, I sent a message about the problem I
encounter when trying to convert a texinfo file to the docbook format.

We would like to convert the texinfo manual of Cinelerra into a docbook
file, to add a contextual help to the application, using yelp (which
reads docbook files).

Here's a list of the problems I encountered when converting the texinfo
file to docbook, using makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8:
- <para> tags in wrong order when using images
- @multitables aren't copied into the docbook
- <emphasis> tags in the wrong order
- wrong tags used when using @itemlist commands in the texinfo file
And some other problems.

I thought those problems would not be solved quickly, since Karl is
probably quite busy. Therefore, I tried to work on the (bugged) docbook
file made with makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8. That involved a lot of sed
commands, and we're still getting some problems.

However, I download today the CVS version of texinfo. And I converted
the texinfo file to docbook with makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.8.90.

And then, I was *REALLY* surprised that the CVS version produced a
docbook file which seems to be perfect. All the problems are encountered
using texinfo 4.8 were solved. The images are displayed correctly in
yelp, the multitables, lists, and everything else is ok.

When those fixes will go upstream?

We really would like to avoid users who compiles cinelerra (the
application the manual is for) to download the CVS version of texinfo,
while they probably already have an older version on their system.

Thank you for the help.

Nicolas.