[help-texinfo] Dividing a texinfo document into parts?

From: Brooks Moses
Subject: [help-texinfo] Dividing a texinfo document into parts?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 20:03:46 -0800

I'm working on a 150-page texinfo manual, and attempting to organize it into parts, ideally somewhat like one would get with \part in the LaTeX book class. What I'd like to be able to have is a table of contents that looks sort of like this:

  Chapter 1: Intro Chapter

  PART I: A BIG BIT OF THE MANUAL
    Chapter 2: Some stuff.
    Chapter 3: Some more stuff.

  PART II: THE OTHER BIG BIT
    Chapter 4: And other stuff.

  Chapter 5: Concluding chapter.

(I don't mind having the chapters renumbered within each part, but it's not at all necessary, and given a choice I'd prefer have them numbered continuously straight through.)

Ideally, in the dvi/pdf version, each part would get its own "title" page within the document (i.e., a "Part" heading, followed by any text that's between that and the first chapter heading), and in the info version would also get a menu in which I could put nodes for the chapters making up the part. Or something like that; mostly I just want a way to group chapters into groups neatly.

Is this sort of thing reasonably possible with texinfo? If so, how? I don't see anything obvious in the manual.

Thanks,
- Brooks