Re: [help-texinfo] Re: subversion manual in texinfo

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: subversion manual in texinfo
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:55:51 +0000

Hey,

For the lazy or impatient I have published the results of my tinkering
at <http://bytesexual.org/subversion/>. This is not a permanent home,
so expect it to disapear in the near future.

Each varient (XML/Texinfo/Info) is available using standard HTTP
content negotiation, examples follow:

wget --quiet
    --output-document subversion.xml \
    --header "Accept: application/xml" \
    http://bytesexual.org/subversion/

wget --quiet
    --output-document subversion.texi \
    --header "Accept: application/x-texinfo" \
    http://bytesexual.org/subversion/

wget --quiet
    --output-document subversion.info \
    --header "Accept: application/x-info" \
    http://bytesexual.org/subversion/

The full set of commands used to generate these files are:

# export the full book repository
svn export http://svn.red-bean.com/svnbook/trunk/src/ src

# make essential version entity files
cd src/en/
make version

# create the monolithic book.xml file
xmllint --c14n --nocdata --noent --nsclean --xinclude \
    book/book.xml > book.xml

# create a wrapper around iconv to suppress errors
cat > /tmp/iconv << EOF
#!/bin/sh
iconv -c  < /dev/stdin && true
EOF
chmod 750 /tmp/iconv

# patch the db2x_texixml script to use our iconv wrapper
sudo sed -i "s/\/usr\/bin\/iconv/\/tmp\/iconv/" /usr/bin/db2x_texixml

# convert DocBook to Texinfo, will produce lots of warnings
docbook2x-texi --string-param output-file=subversion book.xml

# unpatch the db2x_texixml script
sudo sed -i "s/\/tmp\/iconv/\/usr\/bin\/iconv/" /usr/bin/db2x_texixml

# remove our wrapper around iconv
rm -f /tmp/iconv

# fix weird image path bug in Texinfo output
sed -i "s/,,,,\.png/\.png/" subversion.texi

# make Info from Texinfo, will produce missing image warnings
makeinfo --split-size=10000000 subversion.texi

# check everything worked
info subversion.info

Best,

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman