Re: [help-texinfo] centering floats?

From: Aharon Robbins
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] centering floats?
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:10:42 +0300

Hi Karl.

> Hi Arnold,
>
>     Is there a general, easy way, to center floats, including their captions?
>     Mainly for TeX, where the floats are mainly @mulitable
>
> As Patrice said ... no.

Didn't see this.

> Not even a specific and difficult way, let
> alone general and easy.  And it's hard for me to picture a decent way to
> specify such a thing :(.
>
> A block command for centering analogous to @flushleft/@flushright (or
> @raggedright) would not be helpful.  What's desired is not centering
> invididual lines of text (or table row) individually, but rather to
> typeset a whole paragraph/table and center that.  Except as soon as
> there is normal text the whole line width is used so there is nothing to
> center.  Quickly gets complicated.
>
> Commands like @centercaption and @centermultitable are about all I can
> imagine that would be implementable, and that would be so horribly ugly ...

OK, thanks.  Does LaTeX handle this?

Troff has the concept of an environment, where you typeset stuff into the
environment and then pull it all back in to the output when you're done.
This is used for floats, I believe, but it's also not very pretty.

The gawk manual is a bit of a hodge-podge. Some tables you did for me
in raw TeX and they're centered. Others I did and they're not.  Oh well.
I'm probably the only one who reads the manual anyway. :-(

Thanks,

Arnold