help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] delay between tracks on an SVCD

From: Matto Marjanovic
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] delay between tracks on an SVCD
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:49:09 -0400

 >with open source, the tools may not be as feature rich as proprietary
 >ones, but at least you can try to hack them in yourself... =)

absolutely.

 >btw, Matto Marjanovic sent already some PBC hack for menu creation (or
 >something like that) to the development list, I didn't have time to look
 >at it yet, but I'll do asap...

After a couple of days rest, I have fixed up that code a bit, and will
 send out a revised version this weekend; I can post it to help-vcdimager,
 too.  The code allows you to give vcdimager a file which specifies how
 to create PSD.VCD --- you define a series of selection lists and play
 lists and tell how to link them together.  (It also affects/effects
 INFO.VCD as well, since that is just the list directory.)
It only allows you to do this with the VCD2 format, just because that
 is what I was testing, and I didn't go and try to figure out if it was
 sufficient for SVCD as well.

I am in the midst of adding code for specifying tracks and entry points
 to this scheme, which would allow you to accomplish this:

 >btw, a solution I'm thinking of, is to create chapter entries, pointing
 >directly to the end of those blank lead in sectors, and having the play
 >list referencing that entry point as play item(s) with a wait time of 0
 >secs...

 To this end, I've got a question about "entries":  exactly when/how are
 they used?  Are they used at all when the disk is played without PBC,
 or are they only used when a PSD List Item specifies 'entry #N' ?

 The entry lists created by vcdimager, and the one on the lone commercial
 VCD I own ("Duran Duran's Greatest") are both the same:  one entry for
 each track, containing the track number and the absolute MSF start point
 of the track.  If you create extra entries, which point into the middle
 of a track (absolutely), what is the purpose of the track number?

 (I guess I can figure some of this out by playing with it, but why waste
 time if someone already knows the answer....)

After that, the only thing left will be "segment items"....

-matt m.