help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] Newbie help - no sound

From: Herbert Valerio Riedel
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] Newbie help - no sound
Date: 27 Dec 2001 00:15:59 +0100

On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 23:59, Mike Ladwig wrote:
> > btw, another problem is, that the picture rate, doesn't match the
> > resolution...
> The good news is that with the audio fix this error on my part doesn't seem
> to cause any trouble!  My test VCD works great -- thanks to all who helped
> in this thread and in other threads on this forum.
great! :-)

> Now, I'm off to try and figure out how to put together a menu so I can build
> a VCD with random access to the movie clips.  If anyone has any suggestions
> for that task, please feel free to pass them on :-)
well, I've had success with creating still picture mpegs for use for SVCD menus
under linux,
by using the mjpegtools in combination with a selfwritten ppm2yuv4mpeg
hack... (it's somewhere in the ftp-contribs directory...)

one important thing to take into account when designing your menu is
1.) your TV will crop a few percents off each side of the picture, so
don't put any important things near the margins..

2.) aspect ratio; the pixel on your TV are not square! i.e. design your
menu on a 3:4 canvas assuming your computer screen _has_ square pixels,
i.e. 800x600 points, and scale it down to 352x288/240 and/or 704x576/480
afterwards... otherwise you'll a lightly distorted image, either too
wide or too narrow, depending wether you made a NTSC or PAL still...

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: address@hidden       /    Finger address@hidden for GnuPG Public Key