help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] ffmpeg & vcdimager != vcd

From: ephemeron
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] ffmpeg & vcdimager != vcd
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:10:23 +0800

On Tue, 7 May 2002 18:04:47 +0200
Martin Rasp <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Maybe it's a problem with ffmpeg, but I'd like to start here. When ripping a
>  vcd (vcdrip) I get an avseq01.mpg file. Creating a new vcd image out of the
>  ripped file with vcdimager works fine. Watching VCR movies thru /dev/video
>  (framegrabber card) works fine, too.
>
>  Now, I'd like to grab a video sequence from that video4linux device with the
>  goal to create my own VCD. Therefore I'm using the following ffmpeg command:
>
>  # ./ffmpeg -f mpeg -vcodec mpeg1video -vd /dev/video -b 1150 -s 352x288 -r
> 25
>  -acodec mp2 -ab 224 -ad /dev/dsp -ac 1 -t 10 -benchmark avseq01.mpg
>
>  These options should be correct for VCD 2.0 standard, shouldn't they?

I think the standard involves other things besides correct frame sizes
and bit rate. I have done a bit of googling, but I have yet to find any
real-time mpeg encoder in Linux that *really* works. In captures by
ffmpeg, for example, the audio and video get horribly out-of-synch after
a few minutes.

If you just want to record a video with ffmpeg, I suggest you get NVrec
(http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/v4l2/). But you still won't be able to burn
the video to VCD.

Your best bet is actually mjpegtools (http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/).
With this group of command-line tools, you first record to an
mjpeg-based .avi file. You then transcode the mjpeg to VCD-compliant
mpeg. You can even edit the mjpeg (to remove the commercials or
advertisements) before doing the conversion.