help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly

From: Jens B. Jorgensen
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] SVCDs not being created correctly
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:31:01 -0600

LOT.SVD and PSD.SVD are optional per the spec as is the SEGMENT directory which is only available if there are Segment Play Items present (also pertains to the PSD). Those items are all related to some interesting capabilities of SVCD that could be used, for instance, to design menus. I don't think vcdimager can utilize them at this time so I wouldn't expect them to be there. I myself have had no problems with vcdimager (I've created about 25 SVCDs) though so I couldn't begin to tell you where things have gone wrong. Did you use any "enhanced" bit-rates or anything like that in your video?

Jeremy Doolin wrote:

A friend and I have been learning the ins and outs of ripping DVDs and encoding/burning SVCDs in Linux. We are using the following software:

dvdrtools, dvd::rip, transcode 6.3, vcdimager 0.7.12, cdrdao.

We had a friend who is savvy with ripping and transcoding help us with dvd:rip.

We then use vcdimager to encode an SVCD using .bin and .cue files using the following command:

vcdimager -t svcd --cue-file=video.cue --bin-file=video.bin video_clip1.mpg

and burn with:

cdrdao write --device 1,0,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw --speed 8 video.cue

The resulting SVCD will play fine in Linux with xine, on his home DVD player (although he said it's a little choppy) but it will not play in Windows with PowerDVD.

Upon investigating the resulting .bin and .cue files by creating and ISO and mounting it, we found that there were files and directories missing that were on an SVCD that a friend made. The files are the following:

/SEGMENT
/SVCD/LOT.SVD
/SVCD/PSD.SVD

I was wondering if there is something that we are not doing correctly to create the SVCD such that these files are not created. I personally suspect that it's PowerDVD being stupid and not wanting to play because of the missing files, but I could be wrong.

I'm also aware that 0.7.12 is the UNSTABLE version of vcdimager, but 0.6.2 crapped out when we tried to encode SVCD. I found something in a mailing list archive that suggested using 0.7.12 and that solved the problem.

Any help with this problem would be really appreciated. Basically he just wants to be able to play the SVCD in Windows using PowerDVD (if possible).

Jeremy Doolin