hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:20:00 -0400

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:32:01 +1000, Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > > And checking constraints? Or are constraints specified in some other
> > > manner (or a combination)?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> That'll teach me to ask three questions in one sentence; I take it you
> mean any combination.

Constraints can be specified in several ways, and constraints are checked
at insertion time.

> > Someone entering a single device would want a form, probably a web
> > form. I'd suggest our CGI script append the data to a file that we
> > subsequently apply to the database after vetting.  You don't want
> > random people adding Bogon devices.
>
> Hmm, Bogon device. If it's got anything to do with Teleportation, I'm
> interested.

Obscure reference, sorry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/B/bogon.html

> CVS is the archive tool on savannah AIUI. We'll think about it more
> later, but I suspect something more compact than the entire db (which
> will be mostly the same one night to the next) will be desirable.
>
> This format needs to be:
>  - human readable (ie. text, not binary)
>  - usable to recreate/ restore the database

I basically agree.  Question: will we have any reason to restore the
database to its status as of any arbitrary point in time.  Is it not
sufficient to be able to go back a week/month/year?  As a technical
matter, if the database grows to a substantial size, CVS updates (and
storage) of database dumps will become nontrivial and perhaps infeasible.

Archival storage is not common practice among DBAs.

Regards,

--jkl