hurd-devel

Re: libthreads provenance

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: libthreads provenance
Date: 20 May 2002 23:35:38 -0700

Roland McGrath <address@hidden> writes:

> Dag nab it.  I found an MK82 tar file with a web search,
> but the threads in there is the same as the MK83 version.
> You must have started with something earlier.

Why do you think so?  The GNU changes are fairly extensive; the
ChangeLog contains records back to 1994 from you, me, and Mark
Kettenis.  I'm wondering what makes you think that our original source
is not MK82 (or MK83).

In any case, note that our source preserves the original CMU
copyrights and RCS logs.  The original CMU Makefile is also there.
>From these you can find the latest change date at CMU.  Somewhere
there must be a list of MK release numbers against dates.

Our first log entries are in 1994, and those are associated with the
original compilations of libthreads as part of the Hurd source rather
than as one of the libraries that the MK source automatically built.
We didn't have any changes before that.

Thomas