hurd-devel

Re: pthreads

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: pthreads
Date: 01 Aug 2002 12:25:31 +0200

> > Roland, you once said that you wanted a complete rewrite of the Hurd
> > signal code currently in glibc.  Could you share the design with me
> > and whether you think I should implement that or just port the current
> > code in glibc for now?
>
> I think the rewriting that should be done is pretty much orthogonal to an
> L4 port.

Certainly, however, as using the current infrastructure will require
more than a few changes, I thought it might make sense to just rewrite
it right now.

> We won't merge changes to the hurd code until we have pthreads on Mach too.
> A cthreads compatibility layer on your pthreads library should be a few
> trivial macros, modulo hurd_check_cancel, which I think you should just
> implement instead of the pthreads cancellation semantics for the time being
> to make things simpler.

I have already implemented the pthread cancelation interfaces and
started to adjust parts of the Hurd to use it.  I am dubious of
benefits of not going directly to pthreads.