hurd-devel

Re: Toolchain TLS support

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Toolchain TLS support
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:38:54 +0200

[Cced to bug-hurd and hurd-devel.]

Hello!

For one part, this is essentally a repetition of
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/hurd-devel/2006-04/msg00002.html>;
everything in there still applies.  For the other part, new issues are to
be worked on, see below.

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:49:45AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> - hurd-i386
>   It has TLS support in binutils, gcc, and glibc, but it is currently
>   disabled in glibc (if I remember correctly, it is due to kernel
>   freeze with TLS activated).

The kernel panic issue has been resolved by Jeroen Dekkers.  What is left
to do is locating and fixing remaining bugs in glibc (and possibly GNU
Mach as well, who knows).

> However TLS is starting to be used in some packages. This include for
> example glibc 2.4

Indeed.  glibc 2.4 is completely unusable for GNU/Hurd at the moment,
also for reasons other than tls.  I have the beginnings of patches for
some of these issues, but lack both time and Roland's (or someone else's)
help to get these into an useful state.  If someone wants to work on
that, please speak up on.

> In short TLS support will probably be unavoidable and a requirement for
> etch + 1. I think it is time for you porters (mainly for m68k and
> hurd-i386) to start working on TLS support so that it will be ready for
> etch + 1.

Nobody is working on that at the moment, as far as I know.

Also, a GCC 4.1-build glibc doesn't work correctly: it already fails
during the building process, as soon as the newly created libc.so is
being used (might also be ld.so, I don't remember exactly).

So, dear reader, if you want to help, please speak up: either directly to
me or -- preferred -- on the <address@hidden> mailing list.

Regards,
 Thomas