hurd-devel

Moving to git

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Moving to git
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:12:21 +0100

Hi,

I'd like to propose that we move from CVS to git.

I'm not sure that git is the best VCS, however, it is widely used and
seems to be within the same league as the alternatives (e.g., monotone
and mercurial).  It is also one of the two DVCS supported by savannah
(mercurial being the other).

There are a few reasons to prefer git.  First, other components are
already stored in git, namely, the wiki/web pages.  Second, the
students this year did most of their development on git.  It would
have been easier to integrate their changes if the main repo was also
a git repo.  Third, there are a number of components that I would like
to share between Viengoos and the main Hurd line (libpthreads being
the main one).  Having the Hurd in git would make this
straightforward, I'm told.

I've recently moved development of Viengoos from CVS to git.  My
experience with it so far is that it is not the best set of tools that
I could imagine (e.g., emacs's pcvs interface is much better than
git.el), however, it allows for disconnected operation and distributed
development.  I don't want to have to work without these again.

If I do not hear any objections by the beginning of 2009, then I will
interpret this as indifference and will move the Hurd from CVS to git.

Neal