hurdfr-paris

[Hurdfr-paris] genocide nutmeg

From: Jessy Navarro
Subject: [Hurdfr-paris] genocide nutmeg
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:13:55 -0700

Hedoes not want a display of learning; he wants news about something whichconcerns himself, and you must tell it to him in a plain, simple mannerjust as you would do if you were face to face with him. When wesee a wealthy man staggering along a fashionable thoroughfare under theinfluence of alcohol, waving his arms in the air and shouting boisterously,we smile and say, poor gentleman, he is somewhat _exhilarated_; or at worstwe say, he is slightly _inebriated_; but when we see a poor man who hasfallen from grace by putting an "enemy into his mouth to steal away hisbrain" we express our indignation in the simple language of the words:"Look at the wretch; he is dead drunk. In fact, in some cases, slang hasbecome so useful that it has far outstripped classic speech and made foritself such a position in the vernacular that it would be very hard insome cases to get along without it. net/pgThese Web sites include award-winning information about ProjectGutenberg, including how to donate, how to help produce our neweBooks, and how to subscribe to our email newsletter (free!). We are now trying to release all our eBooks one year in advanceof the official release dates, leaving time for better editing. "(8) Do not use newspaper words which have not established a place in thelanguage as "to bugle"; "to suicide," etc. " "What are you givingme," supposed to be a thorough Americanism, is based upon Genesis,xxxviii:16. Never hunt forsubjects, there are thousands around you. You must know the nature of the weekly to which yousubmit your copy the same as you must know the daily. STRENGTH_Strength_ is that property of style which gives animation, energy andvivacity to language and sustains the interest of the reader. Information about Project Gutenberg (one page)We produce about two million dollars for each hour we work. Such words are understood by them and understood by the learned as well;why then not use them universally and all the time? Why make a one-sidedaffair of language by using words which only one class of the people, theso-called learned class, can understand? Would it not be better to use,on all occasions, language which the both classes can understand? If wetake the trouble to investigate we shall find that the men who exertedthe greatest sway over the masses and the multitude as orators, lawyers,preachers and in other public capacities, were men who used very simplelanguage. Some slang, however, can trace its origin back to veryrespectable sources. Be constantly on the lookout for something that will suit the passinghour, read the daily papers and probably in some obscure corner you mayfind something that will serve you as a foundation for a good article--something, at least, that will give you a clue. As a general rule ornamental things serve but littlepurpose. Perseverance counts more in the newspaper field than anywhere else, andonly perseverance wins in the long run. Many of our most pleasing euphonic words, especially in the realm ofmusic, have been given to us directly from the Italian. The grandest allegory in the English, infact, in any language, was written by an ignorant, so-called ignorant,tinker named John Bunyan. Words of "learned length and thundering sound" should beavoided on all possible occasions. The secret of literaryskill from any standpoint consists in putting the right word in the rightplace. Please note neither this listing nor its contents are final tilmidnight of the last day of the month of any such announcement. It is theopinion of many that English, in a short time, will become the universallanguage. In fact there areas many styles as there are writers, for no two authors write _exactly_after the same form. CHAPTER XIMASTERS AND MASTERPIECES OF LITERATUREGreat Authors--Classification--The World's Best Books. Remember that most all slang is of vulgarorigin and bears upon its face the bend sinister of vulgarity. The former were introduced by the RomanChristians, who came to England at the close of the sixth century underAugustine, and relate chiefly to ecclesiastical affairs, such as saint from_sanctus_, religion from _religio_, chalice from _calix_, mass from_missa_, etc. THIS MUCH--THUS MUCH"_This_ much is certain" should be "_Thus_ much or _so_ much is certain. Don't attempt to describe a scene in Australia if you havenever been there and know nothing of the country. In his own peculiar, abrupt, crusty waythe Sage of Chelsea interrogated the young man: "For what profession areyou studying?" "I don't know," returned the youth. Don't attempt to describe a scene in Australia if you havenever been there and know nothing of the country. " You're not a Milton and besides over a millionhave stolen it from Milton until it is now no longer worth stealing. True, you should read the best authorsand, as far as possible, imitate their style, but don't try to literallycopy them. On the wide, tented field in the battle of life, With an army of millions before you; Like a hero of old gird your soul for the strife And let not the foeman tramp o'er you; Act, act like a soldier and proudly rush on The most valiant in Bravery's van, With keen, flashing sword cut your way to the front And show to the world you're a _Man_. The world is anopen book in which all who run may read. Book learning is most desirable, but, after all, it isonly theory and not practice. If we address an audience of ordinary men and women in the Englishlanguage, but use such words as they cannot comprehend, we might as wellspeak to them in Coptic or Chinese, for they will derive no benefit fromour address, inasmuch as the ideas we wish to convey are expressed inwords which communicate no intelligent meaning to their minds. "(8) Do not use newspaper words which have not established a place in thelanguage as "to bugle"; "to suicide," etc. The great purists, the masters of diction, theexemplars of style, used short, simple words that all could understand;words about which there could be no ambiguity as to meaning. Thereforethose who are trying to do away with some of the purely Anglo-Saxonwords, on the ground that they are not refined enough to express theiraesthetic ideas, are undermining main props which are necessary for thesupport of some important parts in the edifice of the language. Shakespeare, at his best, isAnglo-Saxon.