hydra-users

Re: [MPFR] Continuous builds of GMP, MPFR, and MPC

From: Marc Glisse
Subject: Re: [MPFR] Continuous builds of GMP, MPFR, and MPC
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 22:58:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 1 May 2011, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Marc Glisse <address@hidden> writes:
Would it be possible to add --enable-cxx to the gmp configure flags?
Sure, done.

Hello,

we had a look at the build script, and it seems that you are patching gmp by renaming configfsf.guess to config.guess, overwriting the gmp file. Why do you do that? The only reason I could think of is that you want to build a binary that can be used on older machines. However, the best option for that is to configure GMP with --enable-fat. If you have some other reason not to use --enable-fat, we could discuss to try and find a better way.

Thanks again for adding gmp/mpfr/mpc to this service.

The reaction of the GMP maintainer to the build script:

it is important for a public test setup to follow documented build instructions:

(1) Bogus test failures waste time for developers.

(2) If they tinker and break things, it reflects badly on the package
    developers, while it should actually reflect badly on the
    tinkerers...

(3) Most users are much more likely to follow documented build
    procedures, and thus we would like to make those as resilient as
    possible.  (Making it resilient against mindless tinkering is
    futile.)

--
Marc Glisse