hydra-users

Re: [bug-inetutils] netstat

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: [bug-inetutils] netstat
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:17:37 +0100

Hydra-users, we'd like some input on the configuration.  Below we are
talking about NixOS but that's incorrect, what we really are talking
about is the Hydra build service (which I believe is running NixOS?).

address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

>    >    Is there any other reason we require a /etc/services file?
>    >
>    > We don't require it, but GNU does, and NixOS has a misconfigured GNU
>    > system installation.
>
>    Where does GNU require a /etc/services file?
>
> Depends on the configuration to be really exact, if /etc/nsswitch.conf
> contains the `files' lookup method for the NSS service "services",
> then it will look in /etc/services.  This is the default case; but you
> can configure NSS to look up this data (not just for "services", but
> for users, host names, sudo database, ...) in other locations, either
> an SQL data base, LDAP, or what have you.  Anything in the get*byname
> family uses NSS to look up data, the same goes for many other
> functions in glibc.

What is the content of /etc/nsswitch.conf on the Hydra build servers?

I wonder what glibc does if there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf at all, which
may be the situation on the build servers.

> So basically, NixOS is misconfigured in the sense that it tells glibc
> to look things up, but doesn't provide where to look it up, it spins
> and tries other stuff and finally times out (which is what happened I
> think) where the Hydra build things it is dead in the water and
> terminates the job.

InetUtils builds fine on several platforms on Hydra, see this page:

http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/inetutils-master

So I'm not sure what you refer to?

The solaris/freebsd are failures outside inetutils' control.

> Here is the glibc doc on NSS:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Name-Service-Switch.html
>
> What NixOS can do is reconfigure NSS a bit, instead of timing out the
> can just return:
>
> services: files [NOTFOUND=return]
> protocols: files [NOTFOUND=return]
>
> I think the above should work as I think it should :-)

Perhaps the hydra servers are running something like that already.

/Simon