ibija-devel

Re: [Ibija-devel] ninja memory allocator

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: Re: [Ibija-devel] ninja memory allocator
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:08:07 -0400

Clement Clement wrote:

I'm ok with your comments,

but I thing that the PRIVATE MACRO must be global to th project

Hmmh I understand your point of view .

Anyway, the idea being defining it in each file is that this macro has
a PRIVATE SCOPE. Each function/macro to be exported must be prefixed
by the name of the file where it is defined.
If a macro/function name is not prefixed by the name of it file (let say it namespace) that means that it is defined in the current file and has a private scope. You get it ?

Another way of seing it is that tomorrow, we can for example
change the layout of the private part of a particular object
(remember: we will be dealing with garbage collection and so on ...)

So a particular object may have his private layout changed so that
you will have to access it through my_object->priv->real_private_part for example ... we don't know the future so must make sure that we will
be able to make our software evolve with a minimum of effort and with
the maximum of elegance.

So keeping this macro in a private scope gives us room for future
improvement without increasing the amount of code. (it's just a macro).

--
Dodji

To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master,
walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.