ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: Karl Vogel
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: 23 May 2003 13:25:02 -0400

>> On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:21 -0500 (CDT),
>> "William E. Kempf" <address@hidden> said:

W> Sorry, I didn't mean that procmail did any locking.  In the case of
W> Maildir formats, it does no locking.  No, what I meant was that ifile is
W> designed to be used by procmail, and procmail spawns for every message
W> delivered, so ifile should already be locking the database when it
W> accesses it.

   I found that calling ifile from procmail is much slower than either
   using Maildir formats directly, or splitting a given mbox into separate
   messages and then running ifile on all of them at one shot.  If you call
   ifile from procmail, you're going through the whole setup process for
   every message, not to mention the fork/exec overhead.

   Also, if you only call ifile once during a given mail delivery, locking
   issues go away.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
address@hidden                          http://www.pobox.com/~vogelke

Time's fun when you're having flies.  --Kermit the Frog