Re: [igraph] minimum cut; undirected graph

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] minimum cut; undirected graph
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:42:54 +0200

Greg,

igraph has the following min-cut algorithm for undirected graphs:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=263872
and you're right, it does not calculate the actual cut,
and there is no function currently in igraph to do that.

I don't remember the algorithm enough to answer whether it would be
easy to add the actual minimum cut calculations if it is possible
at all. The sad thing is that the maximum flow-based algorithm
(currently used for directed graphs only) is also incapable of
the calculation of the cut, it is possible to add it, but it is
not trivial, the push-relabel algorithm is not a piece of cake when
it comes to implementation.

If you check the paper and have some ideas on how to add the min-cut
calculation, that would help.

Gabor

ps. please consider joining the mailing list, non-member emails
are not let through by default, only after manual confirmation and
can cause delays, even days in some extreme cases. Thanks.